Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Courses in Pitt State

I took the following courses during the enrollment process:
- Us politics (O'Connor)
- Political Philosophy (Zagorski)
- Social Work and the Law (Cameron)
- Political Parties and Elections (Peterson)
- Urban and Regional Planning (Bailey)
- Introduction to Political Science (Peterson)

I didn't know which courses might be best for me, so those courses I took semi-randomly because they sounded compatible with Social and Public policy and Political Sciences.

There are some courses I have consideret of dropping off. Political Philosophy is mostly the same stuff as in the course "Basics of Political Science" in Jyväskylä. Social Work and Law haven't yet had so much compatibleness to social policy as I hoped. I still probably keep them.

The courses all started at the same week and last probably about the same time and they all are 3 credits which is probably something like 5 ects. 12 is propably "full load" and 21 the maximum allowed.

In means of education strategies they differ some ways from Finland. Every course has lectures and a book. Some of the teachers give Pop Quizzes regularly.

From those teachers Peterson is maybe my favorite, eventhou he didn't give the best first impression by starting his first class by reading the syllabus straight from the paper. He is a passionate teacher who doesn't leave unclear his political positions and sometimes even yells passionately while teaching. But if you don't like homework, the courses are maybe not for you.

No comments: